Since May 2018, the city of West Hollywood has been screening applicants for 40 new cannabis business licenses. Yesterday the city made major news when they announced the names of businesses who have been approved, including who will operate as cannabis cafes, restaurants, and consumption lounges.
This means that 21+ adults will have access to actual spaces that LEGALLY allow smoking, vaping, and the ingestion of various types of cannabis-infused creations. The city’s official statement shared that there are five license categories and each category will have eight businesses.
- Eight (8) Adult-Use Retail Business Licenses;
- Eight (8) Consumption Area (smoking, vaping, ingestion) with On-site Adult-Use Retail (sales of products to be consumed on-site) Business Licenses;
- Eight (8) Consumption Area (edible ingestion only) with On-Site Adult-Use Retail (sales of products to be consumed on-site) Business Licenses;
- Eight (8) Medical-Use Dispensary Business Licenses; and
- Eight (8) business licenses for cannabis delivery services located in West Hollywood and no limit on the number of business licenses issued for cannabis delivery services that are located outside the City limits and deliver cannabis to customers within the City of West Hollywood.
For each of the approved cannabis licenses, the next step most likely involves securing a business license for the city, as well as locking down a physical location. With licenses costing almost $10,000 and Hollywood real estate costs as they are, the cost of starting up and operating the business is fairly high compared to the rest of the country.
Considering the location, consumers can definitely expect one-of-a-kind experiences that will eventually rival Amsterdam. Stay tuned for more developments on these new businesses.